[Gllug] Re: [Gllugadmin] Migrating

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 19:48:47 UTC 2003

On Sun 09 Feb, Andrew Yiannides wrote:

> Can anyone please assist with information about installing and using
> Linux in a partition other than the first partition where win98 is
> installed presently.
>
> I wish to migrate to Linux and while using win98 transferring /
> converting various existing data files.
>
> I need some boot select menu such as created by Linux when the system is
> installed on the same drive ./ partition as Windows.
>
> Although everything was installed in accordance with settings fed to the
> system at the time of the Linux installation with the floppy / boot disk
> created by Linux, Linux CAN be accessed BUT IF the boot disk is not used
> FOR BOOTING with / into win98 after completion of the boot process THE
> START UP pop up menu is inactive and some of the programmes can be
> opened from the shortcut icons in desktop view.
>
> The hard disk used is split into 4 partitions.
> 1.  (with MBR) Windows 98 (upgraded to XP-Pro)
> 2.      Linux Pro complete
> 3.      For DATA back-ups Linux
> 4.      For DATA back-ups Windows
>
> Thanking you for any assistance.
>
> Andrew Yiannides

   M$ creates a swap file on the Windows partition. Linux normally requires
a special format swap partition equal to or larger than twice the RAM
available in the computer. Once installed and running, Linux should have no
difficulty accessing files on the W98 partition, but M$ will not access the
Linux partitions.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk