[Gllug] Large hard drives on old motherboards

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 19:32:29 UTC 2003

On Mon 10 Feb, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to get hold of an old pentium computer and stick a large hard
> drive in it to use for storage.  What I'm not usre about is whether I will
> have any problems using a large (say 60Gig) IDE drive with an old
> motherboard.

   I have not tried a really huge drive as the only drive, although
following the rules about a very small boot partition at the start of a disc
larger than the bios can see has always worked for me. If other discs are
huge, enter the bios setup and tell it not to look, no disc there, and let
Linux find it. That way there is no conflict.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk