[Gllug] OT: erratic motherboard behavior / not so smoothwall install

Branden Faulls omphe at keiko.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 12:52:07 UTC 2003

A bit off topic for this list, but I was considering bringing this box
to the InstallFest and I like the support/flames in here anyway.

I'm attempting an install of Smoothwall 1.0 onto a machine put together
out of scrounged parts.  Spec is:

Microstar motherboard (pci-pentium si2 / MS-5109)
Pentium 75Mhz
32MB Ram
545 MB HDD
3 RealTek clone nics
Floppy

The board shows some minor exposure to leaked battery acid with
discoloration around the races and a greenish tint to some pins on
nearby chips. I would categorize the damage as minor/cosmetic.

I had installed a DVD-rom drive for the purpose of installation and even
got as far as installing the boot image to the HDD when it hung.  Next
boot, nothing.  The installed bios will not detect the DVD drive and I'm
unsure of what to set manually. Sometimes the floppy will boot
immediately, sometimes the machine hangs.  No bios error beeps occur.

I have tinkered with bios settings to no avail and the bios flasher
complains that the board will not support flashing although an updated
bios is available.

Is the erratic behavior a symptom of acid damage, a fried board, or
luser error (me!)?  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help and see you all on Saturday.

Branden / omphe
--
|Branden Faulls                         |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk