[Gllug] OT: erratic motherboard behavior / not so smoothwall install

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 20:01:04 UTC 2003

On Tue 25 Feb, Branden Faulls wrote:

> A bit off topic for this list, but I was considering bringing this box
> to the InstallFest and I like the support/flames in here anyway.
>
> I'm attempting an install of Smoothwall 1.0 onto a machine put together
> out of scrounged parts.  Spec is:
>
> Microstar motherboard (pci-pentium si2 / MS-5109)
> Pentium 75Mhz
> 32MB Ram
> 545 MB HDD
> 3 RealTek clone nics
> Floppy

> Is the erratic behavior a symptom of acid damage, a fried board, or
> luser error (me!)?  Any guidance would be appreciated.

   Computers of that age normally require a clean and oil of both the PSU
and CPU fans, plus a general dust off. I lift the label on the frame (fixed)
side of the fan enough to get to the bearing, remove any rubber plug, drop a
little oil in, then replace the plug and label. I wash the fan blades with
some diluted washing up liquid, rinse with clean water and leave to dry.
There is often a solid wall of dust hidden out of view behind the CPU fan.
   EDO RAM requires more current drive than non-EDO RAM, and can cause CPU
overheating with some older computers, I have had problems with 486
computers getting overheated and failing when they are busy but OK at other
times.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk