[Gllug] DHCP + DNS updates

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Feb 20 14:06:18 UTC 2003

On Thu 20 Feb Formi wrote:
>  It isn't as easy as that, that's my current setup, I have 2 subnets,
>  10.2.0 and 192.168, I want the dhcp server to check the mac address and
>  if it corresponds to the wireless card assign an ip on the 192 range.
>  And obviously if it is the pcmcia card an ip on the 10 range.
>
>  And the next step, update the dns record for the laptop.

Updating DNS using nsupdate and key based authentication will work, if
you *must* have dynamic ip addressing, but I wouldn't use it unless I
had more machines than addresses.  Apart from anything else, I've found
it to be a tad flakey (at least with current versions of BIND).

But you've got quite enough IP addresses that you can have static leases
for each system.  What is the problem with that?

doug.

--
All programmers are optimists  -- Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://www.britishsteal.com                             doug at pigeonhold.com