[Gllug] modprobe and SCSI devices.

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 15:35:23 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 15:26, Nick Warrington wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just bought a SCSI card and shoved it in my old pentium box to get a
> tape drive working. From the command line I can use modprobe with the
> module name as a parameter, the module seems to load and  the devices in
> /dev appear such as /dev/st0 etc.
>
> Now, after a reboot the entries in /dev are not there, so evidently the
> module is not being loaded on boot. As I understood it, the devfs would
> autodetect the device and add an entry for me on boot. Do I need to add a
> line in modules.conf and if so what should it look like?
>
> Thanks in advance....

If you are in Mandrake 9, you can use harddrake to set up the scsi card/tape
drive and it should do all that for you. That is you have X installed :-)
Otherwise, you can add the name of your module to /etc/modules and it will
load on bootup. devfsd will create the device names when the module is
loaded.

SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk