[Gllug] OT: PC X-Server

Dan Kolb dankolb at ox.compsoc.net
Wed Feb 19 13:03:35 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:50:53PM -0000, Andy Young wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A bit off topic, but I wondered what the general conscencus is for the best
> X-Server to run on a Windows (XP) PC.

I think that Hummingbird Exceed (is it still called that?) is a fairly decent X
server - I've used it a few times and it's tended to work quite nicely.
Alternatively the Cygwin XFree86 port also works nicely. However, the whole X
server is displayed as one Windows window, with the applications sitting in a
Window Manager inside this window. Exceed, IIRC, gives each X application its
own Windows window.

Dan - probably not making much sense :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk