[Gllug] OT Freedom

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Feb 20 19:14:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 18:59, George F. Saxby wrote:
> Hi,

> 	To my mind unless he signed an agreement on terms and conditions of use with
> regard to IT equipment ( he states he did not ) this kind of
> censorship,scanning etc is an invasion of privacy & therefor illegal.

George, I don't think that you have to physically sign an agreement.
As far as I know, within one week of joining an organisation you should
be given a contract and a copy of the staff terms and conditions,
including grievance procedures etc. and an IT acceptable use policy.

The IT acceptable use policy can be varied or added to by the
organisation.
For instance, where I worked once we brought in new guidelines for use
of the network. All employees were informed of this by letter to their
home address. New employees had it included in the induction pack.

I make no comment on the above case though, of union use of email,
as I don't know anything about that. Does seem strange though.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk