[Gllug] OT Freedom

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Feb 20 19:36:45 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Dylan wrote:

> > My next question would be whether the company permits private emails for
> > other employees. If so it would seem to be a specific attempt to interfere
> > with union activities which is illegal under employment protection
> > legislation.
>
> Indeed, but the employers are not required to facilitate the union's
> activities either.

If the employer permits the use of it's email facilities to employees for
private purposes it is likely that it would be considered a discriminatory
act based upon union membership/activity to forbid the kind of use
mentioned in George's posting as I read it.

The point being not that the employer has a duty to facilitate union
activity but that it is unlawful to refuse those same benefits to an
employee on the basis of union affiliation.

> My mother is a union rep, and she is provided an email account by the union
> for this precise purpose. Still, she sees all the members she reps for on a
> daily basis anyway.

Does her employer filter out any email messages from the unions email
domain?

I read George's posting to indicate that something like this is happening.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk