[Gllug] redhat-config-printer: I can't configure a working printer!

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Feb 19 13:58:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 01:30:10PM +0000, Thomas Charles Robinson wrote:
> Thanks for the help so far but I'm still not able to print. This is
> frustrating least because I can't write documents on linux anymore if I
> want to be able print them.
>
> I've done a cat /etc/group > /dev/lp0 which works fine so it must be the
> spooler, right?
>
> In the spool directory (/var/spool/lpd/hplj4/) I get an error in the
> lpq.0 file:
>
> ---8<---
> at /usr/sbin/lpdomatic line 812, <KID4_IN> line 48.' at 16:03:07.604
> ---8<---
>
> This seems to be a consistent error for all print jobs. i.e. all jobs
> drop the error at line 812 in /usr/sbin/lpdomatic. This is a perl script
> but my knowledge of how all this hangs together is limited let alone my
> perl experience. Is this the real problem or just a red (hat) herring?
>
> Can someone help please?

ok, I'm going to recommend doing something pretty unlinuxy, since I know
little about printing under linux. :)

Scrap your current config and install and use lprng and lprngtool.  lprng
runs as a daemon out of init.d and the tool is a nice graphical interface
for configuring it.

I have sucessfully (and very simply) set up an ethernet printer with these
the other day - took about 2 minutes.  The only thing was I googled to make
sure which driver to use for the printer (turns out it's fine with the
generic ps driver).

Note also that I'm on debian so ymmv.

hth,
Pete