[Gllug] NFS replacement

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 00:55:18 UTC 2003

Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Walid Shaari wrote:

> > > You mean you are copying from server.box:/directory1 to server.box/directory2?
> > > Why don't you just ssh the server and do it that way. Alternatively, scp might
> > > offer something.
> >
> >   None of those would help, imagine this scenario, you have the
> >  kernel-source.rpm in server, then you try to install it, but /usr/src is
> >  mounted in server:/usr/src. If you kick rpm from the client, you will
> >  have the files moving all over the place.
> Why don't you do it from the server then in the above scenario ??!
>
> mmh! may be I haven't understood your problem yet! sorry!!
> put If I have an rpm repository and I want to install an application t I
> might do this
>
> rpm -Uvh ftp://remoteserver/rpmpath/rpmfile
>

> but I might be just brain dead this evening :(

  That is a true statement. I clearly stated that WAS an example to
 illustrate the situation. I didn't mentioned OpenBSD and FreeBSD
 just to add a bit of color.

> can you rephrase what the problem is in here?

 Not really cause I don't have a problem. I just have nfs not implementing
 what I want. All I asked was for alternatives, not ways of fixing what
 is not broken or a way to work around it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk