[Gllug] keyboard & mouse intermitantly not responding?

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Thu Feb 6 16:18:52 UTC 2003

Happy Waitangi day!
I've got a problem on start up that the keyboard & mouse aren't working,
this appears to be happening intermittently. I can log in from a
terminal (separate PC) with X and can control the problem machine ok.
The problem machine was also intermittently rebooting itself so I figure
it was a hardware problem and changed the motherboard.  The PC has now
on a couple of occasions had the same keyboard problem (it hasn't
rebooted itself yet).  I have the keyboard and mouse running a two port
servswitch so I can change between two PC's.  When the keyboard/mouse
lock up on the Linux PC I can still change over to the other and operate
it fine.  On the odd occasion the servswitch apears to not change over
using the asigned quick key but it works using the switch on the box.  I
have tried with keyboard/mouse plugged in directly and also had the same
lock up problem so a bit confused as what to test next.

Could this be a software issue rather than hardware? I'm using Debian
woody with 2.4.18-k6 kernal and XFree86 4.1.0.

This appears in the "messages" log.
Feb  5 14:26:25 2heads kernel: keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not
present?(f4)
Feb  5 14:26:27 2heads kernel: keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not
present?(f4)

Thanks for any ideas on ways I can test things.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk