[Gllug] Civilization for Linux

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Feb 6 16:44:24 UTC 2003

Andrew Halliwell writes:

>Does this mean that Transgaming have taken a GPL project (wine),
>produced WineX and have placed restrictions on its distribution
>in a totally non-gpl compliant way?

No. What they've done is perfectly legal. It's just not ethical or
(IMHO) a good idea. So I'm not prepared to support it. It essentially
highlights one of the dangers of BSD-like licensing. Anyone can fork
a proprietary branch (which is what Transgaming have done). In this
case, they've added better support for DirectX, and aren't submitting
the changes back into the Wine tree. Consequently, people are being
discouraged from adding the support to Wine, because "it already exists,
just use WineX instead". That's harming the Wine project as a whole
(and was the driver behind the change to LGPL licensing).

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk