[Gllug] Civilization for Linux

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 14:07:05 UTC 2003

Doug Winter wrote:
> On Thu 06 Feb Tethys wrote:
>>No. What they've done is perfectly legal. It's just not ethical or
>>(IMHO) a good idea. So I'm not prepared to support it. It essentially
>>highlights one of the dangers of BSD-like licensing. Anyone can fork
>>a proprietary branch (which is what Transgaming have done). In this
>>case, they've added better support for DirectX, and aren't submitting
>>the changes back into the Wine tree. Consequently, people are being
>>discouraged from adding the support to Wine, because "it already exists,
>>just use WineX instead". That's harming the Wine project as a whole
>>(and was the driver behind the change to LGPL licensing).
>

> An interesting point.
>
> I'm not sure I would agree that it is unethical though - surely the
> point of the BSD license is specifically to *allow* this kind of thing.
> If the developers had wanted to restrict the use of the code further,
> they would presumably have gone for a more restrictive license, like the
> GPL.

Oh think how great the irony could have been if M$ had taken wine and
produced a win32 compatability layer for linux from it =)

"run Windows software on your Linux workstations, the new Microsoft
win32 for Linux allows you to run and use Microsoft applications on the
Linux operating system and gives you the safety of knowing they are
supported"

*shudder*

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk