[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Feb 19 10:19:23 UTC 2003

On Wed 19 Feb Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:
> Faced with the triple choice of lawsuits from Philips, finding space
> for a clearly demarked new section for full price disks that won't
> play in your computer, or just not stocking those titles, I'm sure the
> third option would be tempting, and that would hit the suppliers and
> thus the labels.

I suspect they'd just decide to put all 8cm silver disc-shaped items
together in an unlabelled section of the shop, or one called "Disks" or
something.

The fact that Philips are taking such a strong line on the trademark
issue is really irrelevant to the issue of copy-protection overall.  I'd
just wait a year for the cd-drive manufacturers to catch up.  "Plays
Copy-Protected CDs" is just too good a selling point for them to miss.

doug.

--
All programmers are optimists  -- Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://www.britishsteal.com                             doug at pigeonhold.com