[Gllug] ADSL anyone?

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Wed Feb 5 10:14:42 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:02:58PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I have seen complaints from customers trying to leave Demon unable to
> stop Demon from continuing to debit their bank accounts, although the
> connection had been broken by Demon. The suggested method is to send
> termination letters (not emails) in advance to both Demon and the bank,
> stating the day that the account is to be terminated.

I have a Demon horror story of my own. Middle of last year I decided
to stop paying for my old demon.co.uk address which was just receiving
spam anyway. I emailed Demon to cancel, but also made the mistake of
telling the bank to make no further payments on the direct debit. For
reasons unknown, Demon repaid one month subscription into my account
but a few days later decided that I owed the same month and tried to
debit it. Of course they couldn't do this because the bank told them
where to go. The next thing I know is 2 or 3 months later when I receive
a visit from a debt collection agency for the one month sub - something
like UKP 11 - and on the same day I get mailed a bill, a final bill, and
one of those pay-us-or-we're-going-to-get-nasty letters.

After a lot of argument on the phone with Demon "support" people, I
actually paid them the 11 quid, basically because it was easier to
do this than argue the matter further (ie. in court). But I did resolve
never to use them again and never to recommend them to anyone else.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj