[Gllug] ADSL anyone?

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:28:40 UTC 2003

rich at annexia.org wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:02:58PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>
>>   I have seen complaints from customers trying to leave Demon unable to
>>stop Demon from continuing to debit their bank accounts, although the
>>connection had been broken by Demon. The suggested method is to send
>>termination letters (not emails) in advance to both Demon and the bank,
>>stating the day that the account is to be terminated.
>

> I have a Demon horror story of my own. Middle of last year I decided
> to stop paying for my old demon.co.uk address which was just receiving
> spam anyway. I emailed Demon to cancel, but also made the mistake of
> telling the bank to make no further payments on the direct debit. For
> reasons unknown, Demon repaid one month subscription into my account
> but a few days later decided that I owed the same month and tried to
> debit it. Of course they couldn't do this because the bank told them
> where to go. The next thing I know is 2 or 3 months later when I receive
> a visit from a debt collection agency for the one month sub - something
> like UKP 11 - and on the same day I get mailed a bill, a final bill, and
> one of those pay-us-or-we're-going-to-get-nasty letters.
>
> After a lot of argument on the phone with Demon "support" people, I
> actually paid them the 11 quid, basically because it was easier to
> do this than argue the matter further (ie. in court). But I did resolve
> never to use them again and never to recommend them to anyone else.

Before I got my plus.net ADSL (which is fairly reliable and pretty cheap, fixed
IP) I had a demon dialup which was completely crap.  I know it was only 56000bps
dialup, but the speed was still apalling.

And I have had the misfortune to try and get a few perl scripts working on their
whacked web-hosing effort.  Never again, PITA.

</rant> Phew, that feels better :-)

Will.

--
Will Jessop