[Gllug] Copy Protection

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Feb 25 10:33:05 UTC 2003

On Mon 24 Feb North London John wrote:
> Following on from the thread about the ADF cd being "protected", a
> friend of mine has tried it on her Mac (OS 9 I think) & she says it
> plays/copies. I'm going to try and borrow it and try it out on OS X &
> Linux (Mandrake PPC 8.2 - it works! (Almost)).
>
> Is there any reason for such cds working on Macs but not Windows and/or
> x86 architecture?

AIUI it's the cdrom drive that makes the difference, not the OS.  I got
a broken cd the other day, and just went round all the machines in the
office till I found one that would copy it.  Took about 6 attempts.

doug.

http://www.britishsteal.com                             doug at pigeonhold.com
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
...computing's central challenge, "How not to make a mess of it," has not
been met.  -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, March 2001