[Gllug] OT: Switch

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Feb 25 10:31:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Neil Fryer wrote:

> I know that this is really OT, but these are the best places for info. One
> of my SysAds has gone and put 2 new switches on our network, but didn't
> assign IP's to them, or change passwords or anything, and these are hosted
> an hours train ride away from my office, so what I am after is a way to try
> and find the IP's of these machines, so that I can maybe modify them
> remotely. And I dreaming here, and do I have to get on a train and go there,
> or is there a way to do this, or some software that I can use?

It will vary depending upon the switch.

Most, IFAIK, do not come with an IP preconfigured so you're shafted if
it's one of those.

Those that do may have an IP in a private range which should be in any
documentation for the switch. Try google to see if there are any online
documents about your switch.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		Get the T-Shirt Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk