[Gllug] Seperate Clippboard Space??

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 09:21:49 UTC 2003

> I believe that they are both using X's buffers, just different ones. :)
>
> X defines about a dozen cut/paste buffers for use by applications, and
> different applications have decided to use different ones.
>
> The "cut buffers" scheme is obsolete now, leaving the "clipboard" buffer,
> and the "primary" and "secondary" buffers.  These are defined in the ICCCM
> which is IMO abhorrant for so many reasons.  freedesktop.org has this to say
> about what modern applications should do for compatibility's sake:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt

I remember having this problem a while ago pasting between xjed and emacs.

I can remember using xcutsel and xclipboard to get round this.

(xcutsel copies between primary and secondary buffers, xclipboard lets you
have multiple clipboard areas, and you can select from them and use middle
button paste, IIRC).

Have fun.

Ian

---

as a sig here I want the quote I saw in  a fortune once but can't find now
along the lines of:
If the people who wrote X made automobiles, they'd have 6 different
incompatible ways of turning, but no brakes.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk