[Gllug] ADSL anyone?

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 22:13:24 UTC 2003

Wayne Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Am about to bite the ADSL bullet with a Dlink -500 ADSL Router and Demon
> (24.00 + fixed IP) anyone any comments.... Good/bad ?? (SUSE 8.1)
>

> Wayne

Cant talk about DLink router, use an old 486 box with a pci card as router.

Demon service excelent so far. Signed up early Nov 2002, quoted 15 - 21
days for activation & was duly delivered as promised. Of course they
scrapped the GBP50 install charge a month after it started working, but
what he hell. It's still a lot cheaper than Dial up charges with BT
Surftime added on.

Help desk seemed pretty clueless on linux when i had to check the
initial connection as it wasn't working. (Turned out to be my fault
anyway - forgot to change a chat script from the test settings to my own
setup)

Speed wise they seem to be ok - slower during the day approx 25 -
30kB/sec but upto 56 - 57kB at night. 3 cd set of RedHat 8.0 downloaded
in approx 9 hours overnight And so far no outages.

HTH

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk