[Gllug] ADSL anyone?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 22:02:58 UTC 2003

On Tue 04 Feb, Wayne Allen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Am about to bite the ADSL bullet with a Dlink -500 ADSL Router and Demon
> (24.00 + fixed IP) anyone any comments.... Good/bad ?? (SUSE 8.1)

   It took BT about 3 days to connect my wires-only ADSL after Demon took a
month to order it. Unfortunately BT also disconnected one of my neighbours
on the same day, and about a month later claimed that they had the wrong
house number and that someone else had not paid their bill for ADSL (this
was a BT account, not connected with Demon).
   Demon notified me that my ADSL was active about a week after I started
using it, then billed me for a full Apple-Mac service, and later sent a
cheque to cover the amount overcharged.
   I have seen many reports of very slow data transfer in Scotland and
Northern England, but this is thought to be a BT problem which they are
chasing. I have had no technical problems, but their admin is total chaos.
   I have seen complaints from customers trying to leave Demon unable to
stop Demon from continuing to debit their bank accounts, although the
connection had been broken by Demon. The suggested method is to send
termination letters (not emails) in advance to both Demon and the bank,
stating the day that the account is to be terminated.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk