[Gllug] Epia M9000 and Woody

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.com
Fri Feb 28 23:24:02 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Thanks to Sean Tohill I have been able to splash out on a new mini-ITX
system :D

It's an Epia M9000 in a Morex Cubid 2699R case, with a Teac DVD and IBM
60GB hdd. The system without the hdd and 512MB DDR chip is relatively
affordable at around £340 inclusive.

It's not as 'silent' as I had hoped thanks to the two extra mini-fans in
the case. Still, compared to most other things out there - apart from
fan-less cases and mobos of course - it's extremely quiet ;)

As I'm off to the CeBIT(*) soon, I'll look out for any interesting
mini-ITX  things I'll come across and post them here.

Thanks to Will, who spent an afternoon with me installing Debian 3.0,
I've got everything working fine. Everything? Not quite.

I'm using the 2.2.0 kernel as we haven't yet figured out why the nic
won't work with the 2.4.0. Also, the sound chip doesn't say a beep
either ;'(

Googling and board-surfing reveals that most people recommend using the
2.4.0 with the official VIA driver. I haven't tried that yet but it's on
the list for the weekend *g*

The nic is still the main problem though with no resolutions on the
horizon yet.

I may be able to pop 'round for the Install Fest tomorrow but sadly
don't have much time.

I'm looking forward to any pointers, experiences or just rants'n'raves
on the above topic, on the list for now =)

(*) If anyone is looking for something in particular - not just mini-ITX
- and would like me to investigate, please mail me off-list so I can add
it to my 'To-Do-List'.

--
Axel Segebrecht
http://segebrecht.com/