[Gllug] XF86Config-4 and ATI R128

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Sun Feb 2 05:14:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 23:40, Gary Ford wrote:

> [...]

I doubt it is the X server package, unless debian have accidentally
uploaded a new one which is completely broken (if so I imagine this
would be fixed very rapidly, so "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" would
fix it).

Looking at http://asegebrecht.plus.com/xwoes/, the XFree86.0.log
shows a segmentation fault - it seem unlikely that this this a log from
a session which ran with a low refresh rate (the original problem):

[snip]
(--) R128(0): MMIO registers at 0xdf000000
(--) R128(0): BIOS at 0xdffe0000

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Leaving that aside, and looking at your XF86Config-4 and
XF86Config-4.bak (I assume that .bak is your previous one?) it seems
that you've lost all your old modeline entries in the Monitor section.
They might not be needed (my monitor/card combo can auto-detect/setup)
in which case this wouldn't matter. Everything else looks OK.

Does your setup work with direct rendering (with Section "Module", lines
"dri" and "glx" commented out)? If it does, it might be that you need
the very latest DRM stuff for your card. You can get it from:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/ which will tell you to use:
  deb	http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/	./
You'll need to install xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk and also
drm-trunk-module-src, and then unpack, build and install the drm kernel
modules to be found in /usr/src/drm-trunk.tar.gz.

Once X is running with DRM on a R128, lsmod-wise you'd expect to see
agpgart used by r128 (in your lsmod, agpgart is not used, and r128
hasn't been loaded by X).

Hope some of the above helps / isn't what you already know - repost an
XFree86.0.log w/o core dump and I'll have another look at it.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk