[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Feb 12 11:49:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:59:30AM +0000, rich wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:47:06PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > As far as I can see, Java offers everything useful that .NET provides,
> > without the risk. IMO, it's preferable to persuade people to cde in Java
> > than for .NET, if they would like any sort of portability.
>
> Except for two major problems:
>
> * Java is almost the worst possible language for implementing a project.
>   I would never recommend it for new projects, at least not while
>   superior quality alternatives exist like Perl, Python, CAML, etc.

I think the range of different languages available says as much about
the range of personalities and modes of thought amongst coders, more
than anything else.  Java and PHP are generally attractive to
"classically" trained coders who started with C or Lisp, who tend to
feel lost in or choked by the dense syntax of Perl, where typos are as
likely to create new meanings as to raise errors.  Conversely, Perl
hackers, who have often come to coding via *nix admin routes, find the
austere and relatively feature-low syntax of Java and PHP restrictive.

So when someone rants about how language X is crap, it's often just that
it's no good for them personally, given the way they think and work.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.