[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Wed Feb 12 10:16:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 rich at annexia.org wrote:

>   Among the current hassles I'm having: lack of closures, checked
>   exceptions, lack of type safety in containers, verbose and clumsy
>   imports, no regexps in the language, and it's sloooowwwwwwwwwww.

Java has regexps now.  It has a template system that can ensure type
safety in containers too (besides, Perl and Python are 'untyped' languages
so this shouldn't be a problem in the comparison.)  It's also not *that*
slow, once you've JIT compiled the important bits.

There are many reasons not to use Java, but it seems there are many
reasons not to use Perl or Python too.  There's More Than One Way To Do It
;-)

Enough waffle, back to writing that Perl Module...

Mark.

(Purely to add context: Leader, London Perl Mongers)

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -T
use strict;

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk