[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Feb 18 13:33:10 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> A work colleague just brought in the new Asian Dub Foundation album
> for me to listen to.  It's released on one of EMI's labels and comes
> enhanced with "Copy Control technology".
>
> This means, of course, that I can't play it back on my computer here
> at work without using their "player" crap.  This thing installs some
> dodgy codec on the Windows machine at work, requires a restart and
> then plays back 47k versions of the tracks.  It sounds appalling!
> What's more, with the least amount of other system activity, the
> crappy player software skips.  Amazing!
>
> I imagine when I get this thing home, I won't be able to play it on my
> Linux box.  Does anyone know a way around this?

Is the disc clearly marked as NOT A CD?

If it is sold as a CD is should be red book compliant - Philips have been
very clear that such a disc cannot be sold as a CD.

It should also carry a clear and fairly prominent warning that it will not
play in many common players.

If it does not you should return it to the store as unfit for the purpose
for which it is sold.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk