[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 14:09:02 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
> > A work colleague just brought in the new Asian Dub Foundation album
> > for me to listen to.  It's released on one of EMI's labels and comes
> > enhanced with "Copy Control technology".

You might email ADF; they'll probably be interested in this...

> > This means, of course, that I can't play it back on my computer here
> > at work without using their "player" crap.  This thing installs some
> > dodgy codec on the Windows machine at work, requires a restart and
> > then plays back 47k versions of the tracks.  It sounds appalling!
> > What's more, with the least amount of other system activity, the
> > crappy player software skips.  Amazing!
> >
> > I imagine when I get this thing home, I won't be able to play it on my
> > Linux box.  Does anyone know a way around this?

The ACER 24x10x40 CDRW behind me reads these CD's *perfectly* with
cdparanoia. (Other CD drives don't).

You can use them as a test of CD drives.

hth,

cheers, Rich

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk