[Gllug] DVD and kernel messages

Martin Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Sun Feb 9 23:26:03 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my DVD player working,

It played a dvd for a while, with some odd screen errors,

But now it won't play dvd's and i get these message at the end of the
output when i type dmesg :

/dev/dvd  is linked to /dev/hdc

ds: no socket drivers loaded!
Freeing unused kernel memory: 144k freed
Adding Swap: 489972k swap-space (priority -1)
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
cdrom: open failed.
hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04
hdd: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: drive_cmd: error=0x04
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
cdrom: open failed.
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
cdrom: open failed.
hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04
hdc: CHECK for good STATUS
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
cdrom: open failed.
hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04

------------------------
These are the details from hdparm -I /dev/dvd
-----------------------------

/dev/dvd:

 ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
         Model Number:       LG       DVD-ROM DRD-8160B
	 Serial Number:
         Firmware Revision:  1.01
 Standards:
         Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
         Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
Configuration:
         DRQ response: 50us.
         Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        DMA:	sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
 		Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=150ns
	PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
		Cycle time: no flow control=227ns IORDY flow control=120ns

If that gives anyone any clues or ideas they would greatly help,

I'm starting to get a feeling that it may be a faulty dvd player, but
whos knows.

The other point is that the DMA keeps turning itself off.

Budgester

--
"Microsoft is not the Borg. The Borg have better tech support."
http://budgester.homeip.net/budge/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk