[Gllug] DVD and kernel messages

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 02:46:40 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 23:26, Martin Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get my DVD player working,
>
> It played a dvd for a while, with some odd screen errors,
>
> But now it won't play dvd's and i get these message at the end of the
> output when i type dmesg :
>
> /dev/dvd  is linked to /dev/hdc

Is there a hard drive on the same chain?  Some times an IDE hard drive
that is throwing out errors can affect other items on the same chain /
ribbon.  It might be that your dvd drive is toasted.

I have also had a SCSI card that was not properly terminated cause this
to my IDE DVD drive.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk