[Gllug] Bootable CD's from non bootable CDrom drives

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Feb 1 14:49:37 UTC 2003

On Saturday 01 February 2003 14:40, Laurie Turpin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I normally get the magazine LINUX format each month along with the DVD.
> Quite often on the DVD you have the ISO images of distros. I have 3 pc's
> the oldest is a 100mhz Pentium II machine. Which has a cdrom drive but you
> cannot boot from the CDrom because the bios does not have that option.

I have a similar 'issue', I've found if I delete all the partitions on the
hard drive the CDROM boots because it appears to be the only hard drive. A
kludge, I know, but you might try it...

> This
> month I have burnt Yoper onto a CD and wish to try it on my old machine,
> but I can't because the Yoper CD I have created is a bootable CD.
> What I would like to do is boot up from the floppy using a single disk
> distro like Tomsrtbt and then mount the cdrom and run something on the cd
> to kick start the cd off so that it installs Yoper.
> Is this possible?
> If so what should I use for the kick start?

Are there no boot floppy images on the new yopper cd, or in the directory it
came from on the DVD, or even on their website?

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation
Heart of this nation