[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 12:24:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:17:49PM +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
> On Wed 12 Feb Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> > > Perl's "write only" nature immediately rules it out as a
> > > serious language for implementing a project, IMHO.
> >
> > What do you mean by this statement?
>
> It's impossible to read perl.  This is why I've stopped using it
> completely.  Even my own code confuses the hell out of me.

I have to differ. You can create understandable AND inpenetrable code in any language.
The important thing is to make the strucuture of the program clear by good formatting &
comments.

Individual statements can be hard to understand in some languages - this is where perl
can be difficult - but a comment saying *what* it does is all that is needed. If you
need to change it, you take the time to work out *how* it does it.

The important thing about comments is to write them as you write the code, since that is
when you understand what you are trying to do. Change the code & change the comments.
I have seen too many try to add comments later -- rarely works.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk