[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Feb 12 12:35:16 UTC 2003

Got it, now I understand.  I learned programming from the traditional
background.  Line number basic on the Sinclair ZX80 and TRS-80, then on to
Applesoft Basic, then formally with Pascal, C, Lisp, ADA, C++, and then
Perl.  This, combined with my experience in writing code as a consultant
where my customers are much happier[0] with easy to read and maintain code
has allowed me to use perl effectively while still maintaining it's
readability and maintainability.  Most "Perl Hackers" that look at my code
immediately start to point out ways to make it better/shorter/more compact
and invariably harder to maintain.  I have not done any comparisons, but I
believe that the performance difference between using a perlism and coding
it out is usually minimal.  There are some exceptions, such as using a hash
to search a list (especially a large list) rather than coding a search
yourself.

[0] - Happy customers means more work, the lifeblood of consultants.

Andy Farnsworth