[Gllug] Another Mozilla Question

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 15:51:32 UTC 2003

Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Steve Nicholson wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:07:55PM +0000, Formi wrote:
> >  To throw another one on the fire, phoenix, I think the description
> >  of skipstone below applies to it.
> >
> >  www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix
> >
> >  In my opinion it is slimer than galeon, and therefore less feature
> >  full.
>
> I've tried most of these in the search for something quick to startup
> and fast to render pages.  Dillo is still my favorite dispite all the
> things it can't do!
>
> I've found problems with all of them, my biggest bitch is stability as I
> still haven't found anything as good as IE was for me on win98 (and that
> wasn't that great).  I have come to the realisation that it maybe the
> java plugin that is crashing things but can't remember where I found the
> information on how I installed it to figure out how to upgrade or fix
> it.  Debian doesn't have a package for this.
>
> As far as I'm concerned java isn't required on a website but every dog
> and it's owner seems to thinks it's cool so often to read a site I have
> to put up with it and endure the pain for freezing and crashing mozilla,
> phoenix, galeon, skipstone, others!
>
> sorry I think I should have put some rant markups in that. Thanks for
> reading/listening.
>
> Steve

 Well java is a "don't want to use this" issue for me, the plugins hell
 is even worse on *BSD, because less people use them. Most of the problems
 come from macromedia and others not wanting to acknowledge anything
 non windows or not providing the the same support as they provide for
 win users.

 My personal way of dealing with the "stigma" of not using windows is to
 avoid using those websites that don't work on one way or another. And
 mailing webmasters.

 Oddly enough I have to mention that I'm using HSBC website to use
 my accounts and haven't found any issue whatsoever with galeon, mozilla
 or phoenix.

 As most people agree the best way of moving forward is to keep
 suggesting using "standards" to the offending co's.

 P.D.: is it just me or word macromedia is the same as microsoft?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk