[Gllug] DHCP + DNS updates

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Feb 20 13:36:53 UTC 2003

On Thu 20 Feb Formi wrote:
>  Now, the laptop gets its ip from the dhcp server, what I want to do is
>  to have the dhcp server recognize the mac address of the card, and act
>  accordingly updating the bind conf with the proper address/subnet.

The easiest way to achieve this is to put a static entry in the DNS for
your laptop, and then tell the DHCP server to issue a static lease,
based on the MAC address of the laptop.

in your dhcpd.conf:

    host foo {
        hardware ethernet 00:50:da:d3:96:6d;
        fixed-address 172.16.1.11;
    }

doug.

--
All programmers are optimists  -- Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://www.britishsteal.com                             doug at pigeonhold.com