[Gllug] Marks and Sparks

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Sun Feb 23 18:40:28 UTC 2003

On Friday February 21 2003 14:04, Roger Whittaker wrote:
> [...]

Well that means Mozilla 1.0 - 1.2 will work too, since the underlying browser
engine is IDENTICAL, and like someone else said, Opera 6 and 7 also work when
spoofing, so they're talking out a hole in their arse.

Here's what I wrote to them yesterday (I think I may have BCCed it here by
mistake... oops sorry), so far I haven't had a response (perhaps its a bit
rude on second reading):

Dear Marks & Spencer's web designer,

Please can you remove your unnecessary "unsupported browser" check from your
website.

By using some proxy trickery that fools your site into always seeing IE as the
user agent, the following browsers display your site perfectly (including the
mostly unnecessary Javascript):

Mozilla 1.0, 1.1, 1.2
Opera 6, 7
Netscape 7
Konqueror
Galeon

Which leaves no reason to block them out, except some daft belief in, and
adherence to, an ancient browser-checking technique from the early 90s.

If you have another read through the freely available W3C recommendations, you
will find that the web has come a long way since 1993, and you may find the
terms "XHTML/CSS" and "graceful degradation" mentioned.

This allows your site to be viewed even in simple text browsers, which are
used by the blind attached to speech readers or braille consoles, while still
allowing flashy animated purple dancing bears to pirrouette across the screen
and annoy the hell out of people using browsers capable of displaying such
unnecessary ursine brou-haha.

Currently, your site goes down with the likes of Argos and Royal Bank of
Scotland as most browser-unfriendly sites of all time. Believe it, there are
such comparison pages out there with your name on it!

Great socks and pants, but please get with the 21st Century.

Cheers,
Jonathan Harker.

--
Jonathan Harker
www.jonathanharker.co.uk

Conformity is the refuge of the unimaginative.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk