[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 10:30:16 UTC 2003

Simon Stewart wrote:

> On Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003, at 22:40 Europe/London, Bernard Peek wrote:
>
>> In message
>> <Pine.LNX.4.44.0302181331190.7474-100000 at yeoshua.ukpost.com>, Jason
>> Clifford <jason at ukpost.com> writes
>>

>>> If it does not you should return it to the store as unfit for the
>>> purpose
>>> for which it is sold.
>>

>> If a "CD" really is not "fit for purpose" you could instruct the
>> retailer to repair it so that it works. You do not have to accept a
>> refund.
>

> Can you please point us towards a decent bit of legislation? It'd be
> far more useful when chatting to the virgin staff than "some bloke off
> a mailing list told me" I can just see it now: "A mailing _what_?"
>
> :)

It would be the 1979 Sale of Goods Act.

http://www.jus.uio.no/lm/england.sale.of.goods.act.1979/doc.html

There are a number of clauses breached.  The item (line 66) does not
comply with its description.

If you look elsewhere it also states that it must be of merchantable
quality and it must be fit for the purpose it is sold as.  Sticking it
in an aisle of CD implies it is a CD when it is not.

Have fun
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk