[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Wed Feb 19 10:38:07 UTC 2003

I think the important acts are "Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)"
(amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994[0] and the Sales of Goods
(Amendment) Act 1995[1]) and the Trade Descriptions Act (1968).

The product has to be of satifactory quality, As described, and fit for
purpose. If it is described as a CD, then is should be a CD, so in this case
it is not "as described". It is also not fit for the purpose of playing in
your CD player. If you have not accepted the goods, you are entitled to your
money back. Not a repair, replacement or credit note, but a refund.

If you have accepted the goods then I believe the retailer can offer to
repair the goods. Acceptance is defined as a "reasonable" period.

If you want more information I can dig out my consumer law books

[0]http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1994/Ukpga_19940035_en_1.htm
[1]http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1994/Ukpga_19940032_en_1.htm
and http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1995/Ukpga_19950028_en_1.htm