[Gllug] PDAs

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Feb 27 00:32:47 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 08:16:59PM +0000, Matthew Allum wrote:
> on Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 05:44:52PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > Not sure myself.  I hadn't heard of familiar until a year or two ago,
> > but that doesn't mean it wasn't around earlier.
>
> The handhelds.org mailing started in May 2000.

Hmm, I had thought that the handhelds.org group started before then, if not
in name.  Even then, I'm pretty sure it was around when we were doing PLEB
(an ipaq-like device based on strong-arm arch) at UNSW which started in
1996-7ish (before the ipaq was released, and before John started working for
Trolltech too, if that makes any difference).  Familiar is another thing
though.  Richard might have a better idea on when it started?

> > > This http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/licensing.html?cid=6
> > > would seem to say the licensing is more complicated than that.
> >
> > Not at all.  Simply, if you want to link proprietary code to it, you
> > must pay.  If you are doing GPL stuff, you don't.  Not perfect, but it
> > fuels further development of GPL code, so it's a pretty good compromise.
>
> Yes thats the theory.

It seems to have worked pretty well so far - if it wasn't for Qtopia being
GPLed, Opie wouldn't exist at all.  And if it wasn't dual licensed, you
wouldn't see it as default on the Zaurus.

> > > Also Are the core qte libs LGPL ? Thats normally considered better for
> > > library's .
> >
> > In fact it's not.  See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html
> >
> > If they had given an LGPL option, companies wanting to link their
> > proprietary code to it would legally be able to do so without paying
> > royalties.
>
> Well its a good job not everyone takes that opinion, or your zuarus would
> have serious problems / increased cost.

The LGPL is looked down on not because of cost.  Please do read the link.
Trolltech are not an evil company.  They are *very* much pro-freedom.  They
have found a very unique way to eat and live from free software whilst
allowing their software to be completely free.  They didn't have to do so,
and they should (IMO) be commended for making it such, not harassed.

Pete, just back from the pub (so ignore any blatherings please)
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk