[Gllug] PDAs

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Feb 27 00:53:52 UTC 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Pete Ryland wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 08:16:59PM +0000, Matthew Allum wrote:
> > on Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 05:44:52PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > > Not sure myself.  I hadn't heard of familiar until a year or two ago,
> > > but that doesn't mean it wasn't around earlier.
> >
> > The handhelds.org mailing started in May 2000.
>
> Hmm, I had thought that the handhelds.org group started before then, if not
> in name.  Even then, I'm pretty sure it was around when we were doing PLEB
> (an ipaq-like device based on strong-arm arch) at UNSW which started in
> 1996-7ish (before the ipaq was released, and before John started working for
> Trolltech too, if that makes any difference).  Familiar is another thing
> though.  Richard might have a better idea on when it started?

You're almost certainly thinking of the itsy project, which was a research
prototype developed at a DEC research lab of a Linux-based ARM-powered
palmtop.  It was never officially productised, but by a strange
co-incidence, the hh.org project is hosted a DEC^WCompaq^WHP research lab
and the internal name of the iPAQ on Linux is Bitsy :-)

That was in 1998... the handhelds.org domain was registered in October
1999...  I believe it wasn't given to Compaq for a while after that...

Linux was first usefully booted on the iPAQ around July 2000, and I bought
my first iPAQ in October - long-timers will remember how excited I was by it
:-)

[snip license row - I largely agree with mallum...]

> Pete, just back from the pub (so ignore any blatherings please)

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk