[Gllug] OT: Switch

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 19:13:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:17:24AM -0000, Neil Fryer wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I know that this is really OT, but these are the best places for info. One
> of my SysAds has gone and put 2 new switches on our network, but didn't
> assign IP's to them, or change passwords or anything, and these are hosted
> an hours train ride away from my office, so what I am after is a way to try
> and find the IP's of these machines, so that I can maybe modify them
> remotely. And I dreaming here, and do I have to get on a train and go there,
> or is there a way to do this, or some software that I can use?

if you have a unix or linux machine on the subnet you could try running
arpwatch or tcpdump to try and get an arp address for the switch, if you did
manage to get one then you could "assign" it an ip with arp by doing

arp -s (arp-address) 192.168.0.1 (or whatever ip is free on that subnet)

(or similar) which means you could telnet or www to the switch from that box
and give it a real ip address. Make sure you delete the entry you added to
the arp table too its not a good thing to leave in.

What you are actually doing is telling your machine that a device at an arp
address has a specific ip address, this means the device will get sent the ip
packet directly without any arp negotiation having to be done. Anyhow I am
guessing that you took the train by now as its a bit after you originally
asked.

Adam
--
"Step away from the Cathedral, This Bazaar is loaded"
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk