[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 20:45:52 UTC 2003

On 03 Jan 2003, Pete Ryland muttered drunkenly:
> Interesting.  IIRC, in Australia[1], the word 'disabled' is the one that
> is frowned upon.  Instead, one must say 'challenged', denoting not a
> lack of ability, but rather a notion of *increased* ability required to
> achieve the same results as a non-challenged individual.

By this logic, a car with an almost totally broken engine has `enhanced
motive power' (required to reach the same speed as an ordinary car).

i.e., it's politically-correct idiocy, no matter what country it comes
from, and I can verify that (at least in .uk) competent healthcare
professionals don't waste their time with that sort of crap. The
*incompetent* ones, of course, will hide behind whatever shields of
political correctness or jargon are flung their way; but the competent
ones are usually too busy to waste their time with silliness like that.

(Wildly off-topic, sorry)

--
`I was thinking of the legendary British Weather, with the four seasons
 of winter, mud, rain, and damp.' --- Peter da Silva

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk