[Gllug] BETT at Olympia (veering into that whole language thing again)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 20:42:45 UTC 2003

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003, Tethys spake:
> Dylan writes:
>>On the one hand, there is the /outside/ view of the disabled
>>community - 'handicapped' is associated with (now almost unheard)
>>terms like 'spastic', 'joey', 'deaf and dumb', etc. by both sides,
>>and use of the term can (and does) perpetuate the attitude that
>>disabled persons need 'help' in a patronising sense.
>
> Hmmm. I suspect this is just another example of someone with their
> head stuck too far up their backside. I (and I'm sure the majority
> of people) treat "handicapped" and "disabled" interchangably. To
> associate one with "joey", "spastic", etc, but not the other seems
> bizarre...

I've encountered people using the phrase `learning difficulties' as a
synonym of `has a mental illness'. Um, guys, not all mental illnesses
are learning difficulties; schizophrenia certainly isn't, and neither
(in my book) are things like dyslexia. The usual response is `but they
make learning harder so they are learning difficulties', which logic
would imply that blindness or deafness were learning difficulties, as
was not speaking the language well. A `learning difficulty' in my book
is something which principally affects learning; such problems exist,
but aren't very common.

(Sorry, pet peeve.)

> In a vain attempt to drag this back on topic, has anyone had much
> experience with the Linux/MIPS port? I've been trying to compile
> up Mozilla for PS2 Linux, but it segfaults on startup. Gdb seems
> to be implying that the fault is in dlopen(), which implies a
> buggy glibc. Anyone else come across similar problems?

Do you have a libdl.so.* from an older glibc lying around? Is the
libdl.so found by ld(1) (normally /usr/lib/libdl.so) the same as
that found by ld-linux.so.2?

--
`I was thinking of the legendary British Weather, with the four seasons
 of winter, mud, rain, and damp.' --- Peter da Silva

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk