[Gllug] Graphics card

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Jan 3 17:13:23 UTC 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, will wrote:

> Does anyone know wether this card will work under Linux?
>
> http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=45343
>
> Just for 2D stuff.  I play games under win32 (at the moment, GTA3, very
> good :-) ).  Also, is it a good buy?

I have had a (different make) 128Mb Radeon 9000 PRO delivered this morning
:-)

It seems to work pretty well, with a couple of provisos - at the moment, the
only 'released' drivers are the ATI binary-only ones, but XFree86 4.3.0 -
due out by the end of this month - should have support.  The current
pre-release snapshot says:
"XFree86 4.2.99.3 is a mostly feature-complete snapshot of XFree86 4.3.0.
The main exception is the ATI Radeon driver, which will be updated further
before the full release."
I hope/expect that means 9000 support coming.  The binary drivers seem okay,
but xv is the one noticable missing thing (it's there, but doesn't work
properly), which sucks because I use it for DVD/mpeg/etc. and TV scaling
:-(

As for being a good buy, I think it's around the sweet-spot for an
affordable 3D card.  I'd say it was overkill for just 2D though :-(

> Thanks
> Will.

Cheers
Richard