[Gllug] Graphics card

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 17:22:48 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:
>>Does anyone know wether this card will work under Linux?
>>
>>http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=45343
>>
>>Just for 2D stuff.  I play games under win32 (at the moment, GTA3, very
>>good :-) ).  Also, is it a good buy?
>

> Yes, it'll work fine. Don't buy it from Scan, though (see the archives for
> various Scan horror stories). It's huge overkill if you're just looking
> for a 2D card, though. You could get a 64MB Radeon 7000 for 37 quid that
> would be more than adequate for 2D work.

Thanks, it is a dual boot box (the only one I have with windows on it) purely
for playing games.  X will probably not tax the card that much, but Grand Theft
Auto 3 will :-).  Oh, no-one should buy the 007: nightfire game that was
released recently, it is completely crap, buy Medal of Honour: Allied assault,
it is better by far.

As for scan, I know other people have had problems with them, but I haven't
(yet) and the price seems pretty good and it is just about the only place I can
find that claims to have it in stock.  I will take a chance I think.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk