[Gllug] Any BSD users on here?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Thu Jan 23 21:36:25 UTC 2003

On 23 Jan 2003 20:55:52 +0000 Rich Walker wrote:
> Um; ldconfig works from the config file /etc/ld.so.conf - you want to
> add /usr/local/lib to it, then run ldconfig -v

Hi Rich
This is one thing that confuses me, there is no /etc/ld.so.conf as I
originally checked for that. It should work when you give it a directory
though when running it manually.  Looking at the man page for ldconfig
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ldconfig&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=freebsd

it states /etc/ld.so.conf is "Conventional configuration file containing
directory names for invocations with -aout"
 /etc/ld-elf.so.conf	" Conventional configuration file containing
directory names for invocations with-elf"

actually neither exist and I assume that I should be using "ELF" because
I remember reading somewhere that "a. out" is the older system but I'm
not really clear on this.

I've just added the files:
/etc/ld-elf.so.conf   with "/usr/local/lib"
/etc/objformat        with "OBJFORMAT=elf"

I still get no listing of the available libraries.
/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints   exists (I assume this is the file running
ldconfig creates) but it's empty.
ldconfig -r /var/run/ld-elf-.so.hints         gives nothing so things
aren't working correctly somehere.

thanks again for you help, I'll keep digging.
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk