[Gllug] Any BSD users on here?

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Thu Jan 23 22:02:46 UTC 2003

Steve Nicholson <yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com> wrote:

> are there any BSD users on the list that may be able to help me?
>
> I'm trying to install Python Image Library on a server running FreeBSD
> and I think my problems are related to the dynamic linker but I don't
> know enough about it. When I do a ./configure it doesn't pick up the
> libjpeg libraries which I know are in /usr/local/lib/
>
> How should "ldconfig -v" work on BSD?  Should I get a list of available
> libraries? because I'm not getting anything.
>
> On Linux it gives me a list of the library files on the system it has
> found.  At the moment on the FreeBSD server I get nothing.
> su-2.05# ldconfig -v /usr/local/lib/
> su-2.05#
>
> No listing of libraries in the /usr/local/lib where I know libjpeg.so
> and friends are.  According to the man page  "ldconfig -r  Lists the
> current contents of the hints file on the standard out-put."  I get
> nothing from this as well which suggests to me that the dynamic linker
> isn't working.
>
> Is there anything special I need to do to get this to work?  Doing
> "./configure --with-jpeg=/usr/local/lib/" doesn't work either.  And to
> make it even more confusing zlib is being found ok.
>
> Version is 4.6 of FreeBSD and I'm actually running in a jail
> environment.
>
> Thanks for any pointers anyone can offer.
> Steve.

ldconfig is a hangover from the pre-ELF days, and has been
consigned to supporting a.out libraries on the BSD's. Compile your
apps so they know where to look for libraries, and your libraries
so they know where they live. For a decent tutorial on the way ELF
shared libraries are found, see:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html

A short cut to the "lazy" Linux behaviour is to add the library
paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib

This should cover any hand compiled libraries that make the
Linux-centric assumption that the linker maintains a database of
shared libraries based on paths in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk