[Gllug] SanDisk SDDR-31 card reader and Linux

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sat Jan 4 22:21:47 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 20:57, Eric Lee wrote:
> My SanDisk SDDR-31 is not successfully reading a Compact Flash card in
> my Linux PC, running Red Hat 7.3.
> Jan  4 20:03:27 localhost kernel: sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
> Jan  4 20:03:27 localhost kernel: sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host =
> 0, driver = 08
> Jan  4 20:03:27 localhost kernel: Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
> Jan  4 20:03:27 localhost kernel: Additional sense indicates Medium not
> present

This appears to be the problem (medium not present).  Try ejecting and
re-inserting the card maybe.

I used to use one of these confounded things before getting a 3 quid cf
to pcmcia adapter, and I had a little script in /usr/local/sbin which
did:

/sbin/insmod usb-storage
/sbin/rmmod usb-storage
/sbin/insmod usb-storage

for some reason I can't remember.  Try mounting again after that.

As an aside, it's odd that it uses scsi emulation, since cf I am led to
believe is more or less an ide interface (as is pcmcia).

Also, you said you where mounting /dev/sda1 but the kernel seemed to
want to use sdb.  Make sure you're using the right one.

Pete
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/