[Gllug] GLLUG: NICs

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jan 29 13:37:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 11:48, Davies Sue wrote:
> How would I go about setting a NIC to 100 full duplex?

The best and most useful place for this is to go to the Scyld site.
Donald Becker (of Beowulf fame) wrote many of the common network
card drivers.
There are instructions on how to set the full/half duplex mode,
and transciever type at module load time for many cards.
http://www.scyld.com but it seems to be down at the moment.

Also pick up the mii-diag tool when you are there.
This is a small C program which will probe the registers on a NIC.

I had a lot of experience with this topic last year - cards not
auto-negotiating 100Mbps at boot time.
I also recall a discussion on the Beowulf list on this topic -
Donal Becker very firmly believes the common advice to set
the switch ports to all 100Mbps full is a bad thing.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk