[Gllug] Next GLLUG Meeting Saturday 18th January 2003

GLLUG Organiser gllugadmin at linux.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 12:47:16 UTC 2003

[apologies for the delay in sending this out. I will resend this message,
with any additions, next week]

Meeting: 18th January 2003

  The Greater London Linux User Group is set to have another meeting.

  That's right, there is a GLLUG meeting on Saturday 18th January 2003,
  between 12noon and 5pm.

  We will be meeting in the New Cavendish Street campus of Westminster
  University. This is in the shadow of the BT Tower, the nearest tube
  stations are Great Portland Street, Warren Street and Goodge Street. You
  will find a map at [ http://www.wmin.ac.uk/static/maps.asp ] or via
  html version of this message at the GLLUG web site.

  NOTE: you will need to sign in at the front desk to gain access to
  the building. There are building works at the moment but we'll post
  signs if the entrance has moved.

Talks

  We have two main talks planned for the December meeting. These will
  be in the large lecture theatre on the second floor:-

 12:00 - 12:30

  Welcome and Introduction.
  also opportunity to try and debug overhead projectors :-)

 12:30 - 14:00

  Russell Coker - Security Enhanced Linux

  Introduction to SE Linux [ http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/ ].

  It will cover the concepts of MAC vs DAC, the Identity, Role, Domain
  security context model, Domain-Type enforcement and some examples of
  how it can be used to improve security.

 14:30 - 16:00

  Carsten H. Pederson - MySQL

  The exact contents of the talk are not yet available. Carsten works for
  MySQL.com and can talk on both Introductory and advanced mysql subjects.

 To round the meeting off: There will be an open forum discussion,
 including the return of the "Heckle Steve Session".

  * Do please be aware that we can't guarantee that the talks will happen
  at the times stated, but we will do our best to make sure they do.

Other activities

  Away from the formal lectures, we have two rooms set aside, both on
  the second floor, same level as main lecture room.

  The network lab, as it is known, can be used for rolling demos of
  Linux being installations and to experiment with configuration.

  We also have the Multimedia room. This will be used for people to set
  is up their own machines. You can do this if you have something to
  show off, or you are looking for a solution to some problems. If your
  are bringing in your own machine, make sure you sign it in when you
  arrive, otherwise security won't let you take it when you go! We'll
  have monitors, keyboards, mice, and powerleads available. [So no need
  to lug all that stuff].

  We will have access to some of the latest iso images and a CD-Burner.

  If you decide to bring a PC, please have the serial number written
  down ahead of time, in case it needs to be registered at the ground
  floor Reception. We may also take a picture of you and your PC as
  proof of ownership.

  The network lab and the multimedia room are the places you can go to,
  should you be looking for sanctuary away from the formal talks. If
  we're lucky the Refectory on the ground floor will have its food and
  drinks machines restocked.

Sales

  For the latter part of the afternoon Josette Garcia from O'Reilly
  will be with us, so if you are looking to buy some O'Reilly books,
  now's your chance. And yes - we do get 25% off the cover price.

  John Winters of The Linux Emporium [ http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk ]
  will be along to sell some boxed sets and stuff. If anybody has any
  specific requirements please check out his web page and then contact
  john at linuxemporium.co.uk

After

  After the meeting, for those that want, the group will move off to
  'The Green Man' public house, very close to Great Portland Street. We
  have it booked from 5:30pm, part of the ground floor area of the bar is
  reserved for us. Even if you were unable to make the daytime meeting,
  please feel free to join us at the pub. To help you find the pub have
  a look at this external streetmap link.

Next meeting

  The date for the next meeting has not yet been set, but should be a
  Saturday sometime in March or April; keep watching these pages for
  further announcements.

Contact us

        If you have any ideas for future events, you can either discuss
        them on the main mailing list, or get our direct attention by
        mailing to gllugadmin at linux.co.uk

  -- Steve Cobrin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk